Replace or not?

Jim Myke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1998 RT/10, 28,292 miles, I have had this car 8 years, I put on maybe 600 miles, it runs fine, I changed the fluids when I got the car but after reading all the threads I wonder should I replace the plugs and wires? Like I said runs fine doesn't seem to have any misses and I don't know if they were replaced by the previous owner, so what is your guys opinion? Drive it, enjoy it or spend the time and money on replacing plugs and wires that may not need replacing?

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've had the car for 8 years and haven't done a full basic sweep? Obviously can't hurt and will give you a new bast to start with. When you do wires, swap one at a time so as not to get any crossed. I sell OEM styles for $100 shipped. Use the Champ 438s, RC12ECC. You have changed your oil though, correct? Maybe top off the trans and rear oil. Check your engine mounts, most degrade due to heat and age.

OP
OP
Jim Myke

Jim Myke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the fluids, all are still clear and clean they were changed when i got the car, oil has been changed but never contaminated, remember in 8 years car has only been driven about 2600 miles.
Thanks for the answers

TEALLIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the fluids, all are still clear and clean they were changed when i got the car, oil has been changed but never contaminated, remember in 8 years car has only been driven about 2600 miles.
Thanks for the answers
Fluids dont last forever. I'm sure it'll be fine, but oil should be changed around 2 years regardless of miles. Every 5 years at a minimum, i'm changing all fluids.

ViperFan1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd replace the fluids but plugs and wires should be fine to keep if you don't have issues. Recently bought a 99 with 58k and when the PPI was done they found 4% water content in the brake and clutch fluid and recommended a flush. I won't pretend to know what that means, but the shop is well rated in the Viper community and I trusted them. I ended up replacing every single fluid so far, with noticeable shifting improvement after doing the trans fluid. Also did a number of other maintenance items like pulleys and motor/trans mounts. Did spark plugs because I did compression check during PPI.

Attachments

• DownloadFile16.jpeg
    DownloadFile16.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 6

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd replace the fluids but plugs and wires should be fine to keep if you don't have issues. Recently bought a 99 with 58k and when the PPI was done they found 4% water content in the brake and clutch fluid and recommended a flush. I won't pretend to know what that means, but the shop is well rated in the Viper community and I trusted them. I ended up replacing every single fluid so far, with noticeable shifting improvement after doing the trans fluid. Also did a number of other maintenance items like pulleys and motor/trans mounts. Did spark plugs because I did compression check during PPI.

What they mean by water content is the fluid has hydroscopic properties (absorbs moisture). For brake fluid, that can be a safety issue if you race or drive the vehicle in a manner that requires heavy braking. Water content will lower the point at which brake fluid boils. Once that happens your brakes will be far less effective, or not work at all. Not much of a concern for cruising, because the brakes are not being pushed to those temps. If you intend on driving the vehicle in a more spirited way, make sure to flush the system with fresh brake fluid, or brake fluid made to handle the temps of a higher braking schedule.