Shipping a vehicle--how to protect myself

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man in Arkansas bought a car from me. Sent me 1k for my personal travel expense if I trailer it or for shipping. My concerns are two fold. If the vehicle arrives and he doesn't accept it--my costs double. Or worse yet, he accepts it and never sends the money. Anyone who's shipped a vehicle please give me advice. Thanks, John PS--I tried to do this on the other site for misc items---but noone views like they do here.

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shipping.......well if you are refering to transporting the vehicle....then I would suggest that you use people that others have always had great success with. People like Gary Almond and I know there are others...going to need to do a search though. Sorry I cant remember them all.

In regards to the post though...what is the origin point? If you are in the continental US...then have it trucked. If you have to ship it over seas, then Pasha was a good carrier for me.

OP
OP
B

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Found a shipper from Atl to Springfield Arkansas for only 550.00. That's an open trailer, but the car has a custom fit heavy cover. ( not viper) Getting back to the money, the wire transfer is done for the 1k shipping, but would any of you send a car without getting paid first? This car has no title or serial number as it's a race car. Could I suggest to the buyer to wire money into a lawyers escrow acct and be released to me on a certain day? Thoughts???? John

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't ship it in an open carrier AND with a cover on it. That cover is going to flap around in the wind and beat the crap out of the paint.

If you have to go open carrier, just do it in the open. It's going to get some bugs on it this time of year but it should wash up fine. I had mine shipped open carrier back in November and it arrived spotless.

Otherwise, I'd pay the extra for an enclosed trailer.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Actually, it's the selling that worries ME. If this is long-time friend AND car guy...AND, the two of you have done business in the past...FINE...but, this does not seem to be your current situation.

When selling to a "stranger", I have only considered interested parties who were referred by trusted CAR-friends...and, even so...here's my deal:

#1 If you want to see the car, it's 50% CASH upfront...totally refundable if you don't like it;

#2 If, after seeing the car, you want to drive it, it's the second 50% cash upfront to drive it;

#3 If you still want the car after driving it...it's now yours FOR FREE !!!

This has worked WELL for me over the past 38 years, noting that I usually sell to car-folk-friends at a good discount...which means tthat we have all stayed friends !

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Set up the driver to meet at the buyer's bank or the buyer can set this up by phone.

Before the driver leaves, the buyer can go inside his bank, or call, and "wire" you the money. It is literally cash in about ten minutes or before the driver leaves. Just ask your banker for your "routing number". You will also have an offical document stating that the transaction took place, should there be a problem. It is also protection for the buyer since the car doesn't have any numbers.

I bought my last two vipers with documented and fast wire transfers.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Bandit3, admittedly my deal does not help you at this point. I drink coffee daily with a BUNCH of car guys, more than one of whom buys and sells cars regularly (rods, customs, show cars, race cars). Interestingly, as a sideline observer, I would say most of these deals are with FRIENDS.

I am sure the good advice you read here, coupled with your own savy, will see you through.

OP
OP
B

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, "if it sounds too good to be true---it probably isn't". Called the buyer in Arkansas and expressed my concerns. Told him I would wire his 1k back if he did not agree to either pay for the car first or send someone, or himself t inspect it first. His "partner" from supposedly Huntington Beach Ca called me with an arrogant tone stating that we had made a deal. I was to ship or trailer it to Arkansas for inspection. I told him of my thoughts as to what may happen when the car gets there-(oh I don't like the color, etc). The boy got a lil snippy and said "hey there's a bank check waiting for you". HMMMMM, more Red flags went up. Deal is done. To all you guys like me who don't ship cars or expensive items often--seller beware. John One more red flag, his (partner) from Arkansas asks me to send a check---rather than a wire transfer--NO WAY. He finally relinquised and gave me an account and routing number. Guess they play the percentages---ask 100--one might bite!!!

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
funds, in full must be wired before the car goes anywere... period!!!!

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
99% of the time the BUYER has full responsibility of the shipping after the car is paid for. As far as him not wanting the car after he recieves it... as long as you sell through online sites such as EBAY your safe from that. Only way he can get out of the deal is if the car WASN'T as advertised. Such as a dent or large scratch that was left out.. or the car is broken. Not 100% sure of the laws on verbal transactions though after the car is paid for.

AND DEAR GOD.... THE CARE NEVER, EVER, EVER MOVES UNTIL THE CAR IS PAID FOR!!!!!! AKA the check has cleared or the cash is in your hands. Thats just the NUMBER ONE ONLINE car buying RULE. If he wants to see the car first... HE COMES TO YOU. ONLY EXCEPTION: You know the guy personally.

My last ONLINE CAR purchase went like this:
1) I won the ONLINE Auction
(BEST way would be to fly out to car and inspect and to hand check to seller in person.)
2) Bank Check sent to seller
3) After Check cleared I arranged a Covered Transport to pick up the CAR.
4) Car arrives at my residence and car is inspected to ensure car was in the state as advertised.
5) Transaction Complete

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The shipper also told that the buyer usually arranges shipping AFTER paying for and inspecting the car. Thanks again to all here. John, dodging another bullet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skammy