Stainless Steel Hex Cap Bolts - Change???

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figured this needed a post of its own. Many (if not all) of the bolts, screws and such on my engine and in the engine compartment are oxidized and make things look old and unattractive, in my opinion.

I happened to be at my local hardware store and found a newly delivered supply of stainless steel hex cap bolts. What I am thinking of doing is replacing the "non-stress" bolts (e.g., accelerator bracket bolts) with the new stainless....much like what Baz did not long ago.

If anyone else has done this (including Baz), it would be great if you could post some pictures.

Also, would appreciate opinions, point of view on this change.

Thanks much.:2tu:

Peter

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, okay......screws not bolts, shoot me:crazy2:...figured they're replacing bolts so I called them bolts. Anyway, I think they provide a nice clean, modern look.

Appreciate the vendor references, will check them out.:2tu:

Peter

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like this?
I used just off the shelf hardware and turned them on my lathe to get rid of the "ribs" on the screws, then pollished them up, used a lock washer and some anti-sieze on the threads.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry the focus isn't great, these were taken with my old digital and I don't think there was a macro setting on it.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, no, no, I'd never shoot a New Yorker because us Texans are more into beer than whine.

:lmao:

Sorry. I've forgotten more about hardware than the average person will ever know. That includes correct terminology, as it makes you look smart in the company of those that sell the stuff when you speak the language. Correctly.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replaced most of the nuts,bolts and screws for SS ones... The screw i drilled out the holes and put rivnuts in then installed ss allen bolts (button heads....)

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked in the catalogs online and just wasn't sure what size to order. So, went to hardware store and picked up two SS cap screws (allen head) and lock washers. Going to try them ou on the accelerator bracket and see how they look. Already tried chrome there and didn't like.

If this works, will start making changeover. Just looking for clean look and not oxidized. My intent is not to look for fancy, like a dressed up engine with lots of chrome.:nono:

Thanks for helping out...will post pictures if make the change.:2tu:

Peter

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, Baz, do you have any closeup pictures of your engine you can post. Interested in seeing more of how it looks.

Appreciate pics from Asp Man......hey, I too am an asp man...:rolaugh:

Peter

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced all the fasteners on the front and rear facias on my gen 1. Local ACE hardware had a huge selection. Looked much better.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will go get a few close ups...

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Baz, looks great! Love the yellow powder coat.:2tu:

Peter

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do notice, and want to double check, that the head of the SS cap screw is a little smaller than the factory piece. But, the diameter with the washer is exactly the same. Baz and Asp Man, looks like that is how yours are as well, so I'm assuming no issues. I know these are not stress areas, which require a certain strength bolt, so I figure I am okay.

Thanks again!:2tu:

Peter

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, for Asp Man, how did you get the plates that hold down the injectors to shine like the SS cap screws? I thought all factory bolts were zinc plated and couldn't be polished... otherwise, they would rust.

Thanks again.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, for Asp Man, how did you get the plates that hold down the injectors to shine like the SS cap screws? I thought all factory bolts were zinc plated and couldn't be polished... otherwise, they would rust.

Thanks again.

The dia. of the lock washer is a bit smaller, but not by much, than the OEM fastener.
But as you mention, it's not holding much down. So far I've just got them on the injectors, throtle bodies, cable bracket, etc. Time permiting, I'll do all the valve cover bolts this winter. It's a subtle mod, but cleans up the look noticably.
As for the injector clips/holddowns, just used some Mothers' mag polish and elbow grease, they're actualy very easily shined-up.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, Asp, will do the same. Agree, they do neaten up the engine and give it a cleaner look. My issue is that my car spent its whole life in Boca Raton, FL and the humidity created lots of surface rust on anything that didn't have a film of oil (car wasn't driven much, bought last May with 5,200 miles). Most every fastener is a bit oxidized and just doesn't look good. So, where I can, I'm going to convert to SS cap screws.

I appreciate yours and everyone else's input on this "major" modification!!!:headbang:

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Peter

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of corroding hardware on our cars. Why not just clean them up and either clear or black them on your car?A clean up and paint is easy and cheap and it doesn't look RICER. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did take a shot at cleaning a few pieces, but they just didn't look nice (IMO). I think chrome bolts/screws do look kind of ricer, but the stainless I think has a nice clean "performance engine" look.

I'm going to do it in stages, if I don't like it, I can always go back....but from the pictures on this post, I think it looks great.

Thanks.

Peter

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skammy