Tom's 40mm rear caliper upgrade

icecoldbluet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does Tom still sell 40mm rear calipers upgrade for Gen 1? Where can I get them? Seems like his website is no longer available.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As I recall, when Tom stopped supplying them, a gentleman in Canada started making them...at least for a time. Since I am not sure where this stands now, I suggest that you text me at 317-402-9013 and I will send the contact info for that person in Ontario.

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Side note:

It's a good time to replace brakes lines as well.

Part numbers:
StopTech 950.63504 - SS Brake Line Kit - Rear
StopTech 950.63006 - SS Brake Line Kit - Front

tdot.ca did try to cancel my order saying they were discontinued. I called Centic (parent company of StopTech) and they confirmed they were not. They just don't stock them. It took months to get my brake line order. Your mileage may vary....

Last edited:

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Side note:

It's a good time to replace brakes lines as well.

Part numbers:
StopTech 950.63504 - SS Brake Line Kit - Rear
StopTech 950.63006 - SS Brake Line Kit - Front

tdot.ca did try to cancel my order saying they were discontinued. I called Centic (parent company of StopTech) and they confirmed they were not. They just don't stock them. It took months to get my brake line order. Your mileage may vary....
These were discontinued on wholesale product lines and unavailable for around a year - I started making brake lines to fill the void - and recently they have been brought back in limited quantities, so shops not paying close attention will likely not have them available.

40mm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the 40mm info posted here is correct.

I am still doing Tom’s 40mm conversion!
Planning to keep them going as well.

Email is [email protected]

I just replied to you Tony.
I got your cores yesterday Jordan-they’re great and email sent.
Thanks for the heads up about this thread Steve!

Cheers all.
Rick

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The conversion requires grinding off the rear tabs from the mounting brackets right? I think that's the only hesitancy I had doing this.

FlashFyre

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought you needed to grind off that tab from the mounting bracket to accommodate the parking brake?
No. Its the exact same caliper except the piston is 40mm vice the 36mm stock piston. Parking brake is the exact same in the caliper. Mounts up exactly the same.

I think you are confusing yourself with a Gen3/4 brake upgrade on a gen 2. The rear knuckle ears had to be chopped off to accommodate the bracket to fit the caliper.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. Its the exact same caliper except the piston is 40mm vice the 36mm stock piston. Parking brake is the exact same in the caliper. Mounts up exactly the same.

I think you are confusing yourself with a Gen3/4 brake upgrade on a gen 2. The rear knuckle ears had to be chopped off to accommodate the bracket to fit the caliper.
I guess I'm confusing the upgrade for Gen I versus Gen II.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. Gen 1 and Gen 2 thru 2000 all use exactly the same Brembo single piston floating caliper. 01-02 ABS models were very slightly different - pads were different shape.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought you needed to grind off that tab from the mounting bracket to accommodate the parking brake?
You take the stock rear single piston caliper and disassemble it. Then you bore the caliper from 36mm to 40mm. Put in a new 40mm piston. All you are doing is modifying the internals.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm sounds like something I may be interested in. If you create more pressure on the brake pad doesn't wear it down faster? Although it may be a good thing since the brake bias is so front heavy it may even it out.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As I recall, Tom's original 40mm kits used a sleeve on the 36mm piston to bring it up to 40mm.

For those interested, Tom had full explanations of both form and function of his modification on this site...along with some stopping data comparisons.

Search "40mm" posts by " Tom F&L, GoR".