Took advantage of a track rental...analyze my run!

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never been drag racing, and have been wanting to try for some time now. But, the rules are 13.49 and quicker convertibles much have a rollbar, so I've had to wait it out for a track rental...I have no plans to install a rollbar. I've got a 2003 SRT-10 with a Paxton, putting down 630rwhp. I've also got 345/25R0 Nitto Invo's on the rear.

I don't know enough about drag racing, but some of the guys were saying the air wasn't great, and it was in the mid 80s. I got about 10 runs in, and the last 4 were finally consistent...searching for traction was an issue you could say:lmao:

My best run is as follows:

1.86 60'
11.49 1/4
124.5 MPH

My sixty foots were as low as 1.81, and as high as 2.3 at the beginning:rolaugh: But, the 124 trap speed is what I didn't understand...it seemed a little low, and it didn't matter if I ran a 11.9 or the 11.4. I know my car is very conservatively tuned at 630rwhp, but don't you think more trap speed should have been had? On the best run posted above, the shifts were crisp and clean.

Overall, for my first time out, I'm pleased with the times on street tires. It makes me want to find a set of stockers for the rear and throw on some drag radials for next time:drive:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your 60' at 1.8 is an awesome time, congrats.

I think that 11.4 is pretty good time for a base Paxton on street tires.

Ted

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
E.T. wise its a decent run but mph-wise thats horrible imho. You should be deep in the 130+ mph with 630rwhp. Thats almost 200 more hp than stock and the stockers have been known to hit 120-123mph. Dont know how you guys can say this is good for a blown Viper.:confused: :dunno: Get that car redynoed. No way in hell a 630rwhp Viper should be anywhere near 124mph on a full run. Stock 08-10's do 130+ with only 530rwhp.

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
E.T. wise its a decent run but mph-wise thats horrible imho. You should be deep in the 130+ mph with 630rwhp. Thats almost 200 more hp than stock and the stockers have been known to hit 120-123mph. Dont know how you guys can say this is good for a blown Viper.:confused: :dunno: Get that car redynoed. No way in hell a 630rwhp Viper should be anywhere near 124mph on a full run. Stock 08-10's do 130+ with only 530rwhp.

Kinda what I was thinking...hopefully I can get to another one in the fall with some cooler, drier air and see where that gets me. The car didn't feel terribly heat-soaked, but I'm sure it was getting timing pulled...

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kinda what I was thinking...hopefully I can get to another one in the fall with some cooler, drier air and see where that gets me. The car didn't feel terribly heat-soaked, but I'm sure it was getting timing pulled...

Yeah probably thats what was happening. Imho you should be around 135+ with that rwhp on a good run.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah probably thats what was happening. Imho you should be around 135+ with that rwhp on a good run.
^What he said.

My '06 w/ simple mods (ECU,filter,Corsa) would run 122-123/Mid to High 11's all day long. Well, not at Maple Grove for some reason?? At E-Town and Atco it would though.

This was me and my '06 at Maple Grove back in '08. MPH sucked, but the ET was ok.

My '06 Viper vs. C5ZO6 at MapleGrove Raceway 10/08 - Car Videos on StreetFire

I expect my '08 to run near 130, and it does not have 600+ to the wheels. Well, not yet anyway.:D

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im thinking it's the combination..
80 degree weather is bad for street raceing...what about elevation. How high is this track...

Paxtons get heat soaked. What could have started at 615-630 rwhp would easily be 520-540 rwhp after those 10 runs you did runs..

10 runs implies that you were running pretty much back to back...what was your highest mph of the day....listing off a few of your other timeslips would help paint a better picture...

124.5 is what a beginner would run in a stock 2008 on a 80 degree day..So dont worry to much about that....

80 degrees...possible elevation...defiently heat soaked after 10 back to back runs.."you couldnt have been kooling down more than 30 minutes between runs right?"...street tires were you were likely spinning a bit on the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift loseing a lil mph/et

tell us some of the other trap speeds as well as elevation and what the other fast cars ran in your rental please

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those times and m.p.h. are pretty much dead on. My best Paxton runs were in the 11:30 range between 124-126 mph. Colder weather will help the mph but the extra power down low will keep the runflats from hooking-up.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is all in the launch. Bring your 60's down and your times will come down. Your MPH does seem a little low. Cold weather is coming though, but you will just have more traction problems.

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im thinking it's the combination..
80 degree weather is bad for street raceing...what about elevation. How high is this track...

Paxtons get heat soaked. What could have started at 615-630 rwhp would easily be 520-540 rwhp after those 10 runs you did runs..

10 runs implies that you were running pretty much back to back...what was your highest mph of the day....listing off a few of your other timeslips would help paint a better picture...

124.5 is what a beginner would run in a stock 2008 on a 80 degree day..So dont worry to much about that....

80 degrees...possible elevation...defiently heat soaked after 10 back to back runs.."you couldnt have been kooling down more than 30 minutes between runs right?"...street tires were you were likely spinning a bit on the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift loseing a lil mph/et

tell us some of the other trap speeds as well as elevation and what the other fast cars ran in your rental please

This track is only 80 feet above sea level. I ran 3 back to back runs in the morning, let it cool for 30 mins, then a set of two, another set of two, and finished up with 3...all with 30 min breaks. This group was mainly GTRs and modded AMG Benz's...they were around 117ish, and of course a few higher too. My 11.4 was one of the better times from what I recall.

Again, I'm new to this, but most of the guys today were telling me the 11.4 was pretty damn good for "only" a 124mph...do you agree?

BigBadViper...from doing some searches previously, I'm not sure I've seen too much better than a 1.8 on street tires...is that true, or am I incorrect?

Thanks for the responses so far:drive:

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11.4 is good. MPH is low. I just came from the track tonight and the air wasn't good in Atlanta either. 80 degrees. I ran 11.8 on my first run at 122 mph. Second and final run I blew the tires and shut it down. Next time let the car sit about 1 hour with the hood up. Once you can put your hand on your intake manifold without it burning your good to go. Your 60 ft times were great. I only cut a 1.9 tonight. My PS2's are done they have 20k miles on them.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So on any of your other 9 or so passes did you do better than the 124 mph?

Also if the GTR's were modded at all and only hitting 117 mph then this is a great indication that the track weather was just horrible for drag raceing that day. A stock GTR should do 116-119 mph no problem and 120-121 isnt out of the norm stock...

Keep us updated and congrats on the 11.4 on street tires. 1.8 60 foots are getting it done nicely..You will only get faster..

When you get that kool 60 degree weather and let her sit for an hour with the hood open as Dragon rider suggested..well if you can run 11.4 with 124 mph trapp speeds..Imagine what you'll do with 128 PLUS mph trapp speeds

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister...124 was my top mph, and I hit it a three times...alot of 122s, and a couple 119s in the beginning

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My buddy posted a run on Youtube from his iPhone...I'm not sure if this is the 11.6 or the 11.4 run, but at this point I was leaving around 3200rpm

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw0PfyNJYgI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well that is a beautiful ride you got there..nice rims....I see you are rideing on 20's....this will reduce your overall gear..so you could be loseing a lil mph as well with your 3.07 rear gear being made to think she's a 2.90 with the taller 20 inchers...

hard to say...I gotta just be honest though 119-124 mph with a few 122's is just not right for a 630 rwhp paxton even in bad weather...

im far from an expert but when I first tried drag raceing my 457 rwhp (intake roller rocker) srt10 I was shifting when the shift line came on 5500 rpm's...I did this rpm shift in my gen2 and ran good times/mph..

But in my srt10 I was doing 115-117 mph with 457 rwhp????I was pretty unimpressed to say the leaste..

So I tried shifting at 5700 rpms..And i was returned with 117-118 mph trapps on the same night..then I tried 5800 rpm shifts and was returned with 118-119 mph trapps...

I said screw it and from that point on got as close to 5950 rpm's on my shifts as possible...i ended up hitting a few 122's but averaged 120 mph...

Shifting as late as possible in my srt10 was the ticket for me..that 5500 rpm shift light will really screw your 1/4 mile times

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ryan as I told you on the phone yesterday You did an awesome job getting a blown Viper down the track on 20's with a 1.8 sixty foot time your first time out. It really is outstanding!

As for the MPH, you mentioned to me on the phone that you were still having to peddle the 1-2 shift a bit which will cause you to drop about 1-2 mph. So lets say you could have hooked it up a touch better on the 1/2 shift I bet you would have seen about 126.

Is 126 low for a paxton gen III Yes, but keeping things in perspective for yesterday is important. Not sure what the barometer was yesterday but with 80 degrees out an a low baro the DA might have been pretty high which could have hurt you for another couple MPH.

I bet if you run that same car in the fall with a barometer about 30.0 and temps in the 50's and you'll see 130's in that car no problems.

I had a consistent as hell bolt on auto F body years ago that would only trap 1.8 in the summer, and would trap as high as 116 in the winter months, same mods, same 60 ft's.

Forced induction cars seem to do even better with cooler air.

I also think it's evident that the car was making pretty good power based on the trap speeds of the other cars there. If the GTR's were trapping 116 and you were putting 6 mph on them than thats not to bad.

All in all you should be extremely proud of your self for your first time out.

Congrats Buddy!
:2tu::2tu::2tu:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agreed 11.4 first time out is awesome..Ive never ran a 11.4 in anything lol..

I was gonna post a bunch of stuff but dont even want to speculate..cant wait to see more of your track outings..10 second ride with a lil practice and good weather (not to mention the hottest black srt bar none to many)

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fella's...here's a video of me against a GTR...you can't tell the times, but you can see my lane lights up first :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrU48kvDrSs[/media]

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looked like you smoked him from start to finish..How do you like your GTR..rare or crispy?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I posted a video of "all" the supercars racing (like the rest of the car mags there is no Viper included). YOUR car looks like the ZR1 in that video (Driven forum). Always figured that they run the ZR1 because the Viper is too fast. Paste a ZR1 sticker on your car for fun? (I know, you've got 100rwhp too much).

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very simply your not making the power your dyno says your making and this is the exact reason i always preach to people that dynos are nothing more than tools- the ULTIMATE TEST is the TRAP SPEED.With a TRUE 600 plus to the tire on a sea level track that Viper shpould easily trap in the mid 130s (my Gen 2 with 575 NA to the stock tires trapped 132 )Your 60 and et shows your driving is great. You made multiple runs ALL with the same MPH

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you. I'm going to the track again this weekend, and while the temp will be the same, I'll have some more experience. I'm gonna change up some shift points and see where that'll take me as far as trap speeds. I have another track day planned in late fall where the air will be great, and if it still won't perform by then, I'll get it dynoed over the winter to make sure everything is on the up and up.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kool...5950 rpm on the srt is the spot for mph...this will also help you be at a high rpm after the shift wich in turn will help that paxton deliver full boost faster ect.....good luck

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you. I'm going to the track again this weekend, and while the temp will be the same, I'll have some more experience. I'm gonna change up some shift points and see where that'll take me as far as trap speeds. I have another track day planned in late fall where the air will be great, and if it still won't perform by then, I'll get it dynoed over the winter to make sure everything is on the up and up.
Hank thats the problem with the damn dyno jets they are just not all that accurate(so so many factors influence numbers they spit out ) .People unknowingly bench race dyno sheets that in alot of cases mean absolutely nothing. A trap speed on the other hand is a true assessment of the actual power a car is making .Moroso has a slide guide where you enter the car weights and the trap speed its running thats a ton more accurate than a chasis dyno in measuring horsepower.Next time your there run it and if its still not trapping at least mid 130s somethings wrong

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked back on some of the Paxton cars i had tested to put it in perspective Dan Black Dlm Stage 2 car running on stock Pilots dynoed at a true 725 to the tire .This was backed up by a few runs 142-143 mph trap speed wise on a very very hot day at Englishtown .If your making 95 less to the tire than Dan was you should be in the 134-135 range no problem.Jamie Furman ( Heffner car- bolt on Paxton )on a near 100 degree day at a ATL NAT event ( making around 600 to the tire) was popping 10.9 at near 133 on Pilots all day long so something is not correct trap speed to power wise

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay I gotcha...keep in mind, Furman is a great, if not one of the best racers on the site, and this was my first time ever drag racing. I'm sure my shifts weren't as crisp and clean as his, and whatever other experience he has other than holding it on the floor I'm not going to have. I'm going to check all the little things on my car before my next trip, like making sure I'm not losing boost at a coupler(boost gauge was reading 5 tho), making sure throttle blades are opening fully etc...

The Paxton on my car was installed, tuned and dynoed by Heffner, so I'll consider my rwhp numbers solid, based on his reputation alone...at least until proven otherwise.

Let me ask this, disregarding what my trap speed should be...since my car only did run 124, is 11.4 a good time on a 20" street tire? With the same 60', and let's say 128-130 mph, should I expect to see the ET to drop a little, and how much?

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay I gotcha...keep in mind, Furman is a great, if not one of the best racers on the site, and this was my first time ever drag racing. I'm sure my shifts weren't as crisp and clean as his, and whatever other experience he has other than holding it on the floor I'm not going to have. I'm going to check all the little things on my car before my next trip, like making sure I'm not losing boost at a coupler(boost gauge was reading 5 tho), making sure throttle blades are opening fully etc...

Let me ask this, disregarding what my trap speed should be...since my car only did run 124, is 11.4 a good time on a 20" street tire? With the same 60', and let's say 128-130 mph, should I expect to see the ET to drop a little, and how much?
You ran a GREAT ET for a novice on a drag radial (look at your 60 its excellent )A trap speed mph is a trap speed provided a driver can hold a gear a pros trap speed is going to be within a mph or 2 of yours (his et will differ due to driver ability esp with a stock tire ).One year i let a buddy of mine take a run on a cold night at Englishtown .The guy was a fair driver on stock tires ran 12.0 at 129.Evan Smith then took it and ran 11.3 at 130 a few minutes later their trap speeds were very close et was vastly different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skammy