hand experience with plate covers or sprays to foil
traffic cameras? There is a lot of misinformation
and lots of outrageous claims being made...Does
anything actually work?

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Mythbusters tried ALL options. None worked. Not sure if you can find it on youtube.

Speed Cameras (March 7, 2007)
Can a driver beat a speed camera by speeding faster than they can click? How about using license plate protectors or changing lanes?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Joseph...yes, we read the MythBusters reports too. But we did find a product, that I don't mention on this public forum that does work, especially with 'flash' cameras. Leaves a 'blur'.
I'm NOT big on promoting this, but if someone asks a question, I'm pretty direct. (Proof is in the pics we've taken after applying the spray, and yes, it needs re-applying, it wears off.)
~juli
**I truly **** at posting pics...lol...the ones I have show the plates, as we've not reapplied)**

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have any of our members had actual, factual, first-
hand experience with plate covers or sprays to foil
traffic cameras? There is a lot of misinformation
and lots of outrageous claims being made...Does
anything actually work?

The company I work for makes speed cameras :omg: Hope I won't get banned now. We use a laser based system to track vehicles across multiple lanes, even if you change lanes. We have tried the spray and it did not work at all. The cameras have a very wide dynamic range and unless you totally cover your license plate, it is recognizable.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems a little mud or dirt of some kind on the rear tag will protect you.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if juli were to prove it with a regular camera, would that be good enough proof ? is the picture gonna be the same ?

just an idea

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if juli were to prove it with a regular camera, would that be good enough proof ? is the picture gonna be the same ?
just an idea

I'm thinking it works with 'flash' cameras....we haven't reapplied the spray, so we have to do that and allow it to dry before putting back on the cars. When we've done this before, we wanted to see (naturally!) if it WORKED...and it DID...it 'blurred' the plate...the spray has GOT to be liberally sprayed on and left to dry, then it says to apply a second coating, the plate would then be 'glossy'. It DOES wear off.
~juli

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mythbusters tried ALL options. None worked. Not sure if you can find it on youtube.

Speed Cameras (March 7, 2007)
Can a driver beat a speed camera by speeding faster than they can click? How about using license plate protectors or changing lanes?
I've had radar detectors that have been unable to detect me on a motorcycle. :2tu: Mythbusters didn't try that, did they?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have my license plate buried in the famous spray (hair spray IIRC). My neighbor gave it to me as a present (she figured if my car was as loud as it is, I probably needed it). I am currently avoiding a process server from the City of Tempe who is trying to serve me with a photo radar ticket snapped right by Arizona State University (the picture that came in the mail was very high quality). Does that answer the question?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

just an idea

I saw the episode of Mythbusters as well. The plate covers do not work. I can speak from personal experience on that one. I have doubts about Juli's spray as well. I also took pics of my car to see if the plate cover worked. The pics I took showed the tag blurred. The pic the city sent in the mail showed the plate blurred a little but still FULLY readable. I couldn't get over in time to pay the toll and wasn't going to wreck trying, so I went through the "express pre-paid" lane. Its all about camera angle and possibly other factors the average Joe (or Juli or Chad) can't duplicate 100% :) If Juli wants to be sure 100%, spray it on, go through a tollbooth and wait a week and see what happens. My tag cover failed that test :buttkick:

With that said, if someone still wants to try, I have my tag cover in the garage. Anyone can have it for shipping costs.

Last edited:

Blazeone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you are talking about red light cameras I hope they install them at every light at least here in Houston. Yesterday I saw at three bone heads run the red big time. Running a red light is just plain stupid and puts innocent people at risk.

I am not a fan of speeding cameras though.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are talking about red light cameras I hope they install them at every light at least here in Houston. Yesterday I saw at three bone heads run the red big time. Running a red light is just plain stupid and puts innocent people at risk.

+1 on not getting t-boned at traffic lights!!! That's NOT why we use the spray. Chad is talking about some sort of plate 'cover'. I'm talking about a liberal spray you spray on, not a cover. The reason this DOES work (and has to be reapplied, I stress that) is think of it like this: A mailpiece that you send back paying your bill, goes in a 'window' envelope, okay? That piece of mail goes thru an automated machine that 'reads' the address thru the window, the post office took YEARS to perfect a method that will read the address and not have the window/clear plastic 'bounce' off the address, hence reading an 'error'. Same concept. I've taken the pics after all applications of the spray, it DOES work, but again, I'm thinking it may work with just FLASH CAMERAS. I was afraid to bring this subject up, LOL~!!! To each their own~~~:cool::cool::cool::cool: ~juli

D

DAMN YANKEE

When running near a city, I run a copy of Juli's plate on top of my plate.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Red light runners are near the worst. But the answer isn't cameras, the answer is a $500 fine.

Unfortunately local governments don't want to stop red light runners, they want to tax them while spending money frivolously on cameras and their subsequent periodic maintenance.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VOTE TO BAN !!! :(

Second! :D

Chicago is now proposing speed cameras. :omg: Not only will this screw me when I take the viper out but to be stuck doing the speed limit on a daily basis with my daily driver on the expressways?????? :mad: I might as well go buy a F*&^%#g Prius. As for the Viper, what is the point of having it if you can't do more than tool around in second gear? The only thing left to do will be to sell the viper and buy a track car. :dunno:

Tabs1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just spray a little expanding foam into the little hole in the front of the box. Just dont get caught. Those cameras are so expensive and the administration fees so high that towns dont end up making enough of a profit. Just search on the arizona ones that are not being renewed. Just proves its not for safety just revenue, which is illegal, but those who make the laws can change them or break them. Must be nice.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not just about boneheads running reds. In Kalifornia last week, I believe I got snapped going through an intersection. Traffic was backed up, although green. I waited at the start of the intersection as you should. When the lane ahead cleared, I started to go through, but the light changed to yellow and red before I got all the way across (obviously not driving the Viper). So here's where these automated systems SCREW you. You have no defense, and believe me contesting by mail is a joke. With no human being in front of them, they have no incentive other than to find you guilty and take your money. After all, that's what this is all about, not preventing accidents.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not the ones in NJ and NY. ive had both. you get a shot of the rear of the car only. paid it to make it go away but thought it might be fun to fight

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My son got one recently. At SEMA last year there was a vendor selling what looked like a hook nose thing that attached perpendicular to the license plate. What it did was reflect the image of the plate to show only one side. From the rear of the vehicle, it appeared as just a piece of polished metal. Don't have any more information or legality of it, but it sure was getting much attention at SEMA.