Traffic cameras

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait---Plum---make your own-just a piece of stainless at a right angle to the tag, Polish it and you should be good to go.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait---Plum---make your own-just a piece of stainless at a right angle to the tag, Polish it and you should be good to go.

Above the plate? In the middle of the plate? Along the side or bottom of the plate? Sounds strange.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Baltimore they'll install a red light camera, and if it's not producing enough revenue, they'll shorten the yellow light time to help their chances. Red light cameras are Ok if used properly, but too many times it becomes all about the money.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plum and all others. The device was vertical in the center of the tag and polished to reflect one side on the tag number/letters. I don't remember how it was attached, but I presume it was nothing more than two tabs ( one top, one bottom) bent over the edges of the tag. Should be easy to duplicate.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plum and all others. The device was vertical in the center of the tag and polished to reflect one side on the tag number/letters. I don't remember how it was attached, but I presume it was nothing more than two tabs ( one top, one bottom) bent over the edges of the tag. Should be easy to duplicate.

Wouldn't a cop who looked at it see something funny with the license plate?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't a cop who looked at it see something funny with the license plate?

I assume it is like this-

laying the license plate flat on a table, there is now a polished plate perpendicular to the table. Unless you are directly behind the car, you can't see all letters/numbers. Standing behind the driver's side, you would see the driver's side of the letters and numbers, but the passenger side would be blocked by the polished plate. In fact, the polished plate would reflect the driver's side numerals.

How far out from the license is this polished plate?

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the cop walks to your window, he will assuredly see the extra plate you describe and you will get another ticket. Likewise, if you are just parked somewhere and some meter maid sees it, she could call it in. While they might not see it from straight behind, that's not the only position a law enforcement type will be in. Sounds like a really bad idea to me.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
In Baltimore they'll install a red light camera, and if it's not producing enough revenue, they'll shorten the yellow light time to help their chances. Red light cameras are Ok if used properly, but too many times it becomes all about the money.

6 Cities That Were Caught Shortening Yellow Light Times For Profit

It's an old article and subsequent ones have identified many, many more cities that have done this.

Happens all over. A city claims it wants to reduce red light accidents and tells the public that installing red light cameras will do just that.

As the red light cameras are installed the length of the yellow light is shortened.

Lots of tickets are generated. Some from the high speed person running the light BUT 80% come from people turning right on red without coming to a full stop. not exactly the high speed red light runner they are trying to deter.

But surprise, accident rates go up due to the shorter yellow light.

Far more effective to make the yellow light a bit longer to reduce red light running accidents but safety's just not the highest objective- as evidenced by the shortening of the yellow light durations.