Utter Stupidity of American Consumer

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Viper is up for sale.

Corvette is surviving.

Still, you can take one of those $106k Corvettes and drive it down Main Street USA and its like a non-event.

With a Viper, you're Jack Nicholson, or... how about, Pamela Anderson....

I remember years ago, AOL did a poll, "What car would you like to own?" And the winner was Mustang. Not even Corvette, not to mention Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa, Bently, RR, or something that would produce some serious wood.

I wonder how things are in Andorra?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sadly, the majority of the population is a bunch of underachievers and think that a Mustang is an unattainable object of desire. Most people can't afford a Mustang, let alone a Corvette or Viper.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to remember, AOL surveys are (1) completely voluntary, (2) participation is usually by kids 10-18 - to which a Mustang is a "real muscle car" that is way beyond what they can afford and (3) usually put up during the day when those of us who can afford a Viper are at WORK!!!

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, me and most of my friends around 8 years old knew what a Ferrari was and that we all wanted them. We were schooled by slot cars and plastic models and movies and magazines and books. Any when you saw your first one on the turnpike going on vacation, well.... it was all over!

I Give Up. Maybe Mexicans are the answer...

Jim C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked a room full of teenagers what they'd choose if they could have ANY car in the world. All but one of them said "Honda Civic". One guy thought an STI would rock...

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sadly, the majority of the population is a bunch of underachievers and think that a Mustang is an unattainable object of desire. Most people can't afford a Mustang, let alone a Corvette or Viper.

So the measure of "achievement" in life is what kinda car you drive????

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to dream why stop at Viper, dont get me wrong our cars "rock" but how about an Enzo or McLaren Benz or an S7.

It just depends on what your point of view is.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper looks so exotic, most people think they could never afford it.

Then they go out and buy a huge SUV....because that is what society expects of them.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mustangs are hugely popular to many folks. To call them "under-achievers" is elitist. While I have had three Vipers….currently I still have my 2000GTS…I drive a 2003 Cobra everyday and it’s a great car. To say people are stupid for liking or wanting something other than a Viper is nutty. Not everyone shares the same views.

As far as the ‘vettes go…the Corvette line is going to be shut down for a week…then restarted at a lower production pace.

Chevy to temporarily halt Vette production due to economy - Autoblog

As for me…I never wanted a ‘vette, of for that matter a Ferrari, Lambo…..these just do nothing for me personally. Does that make someone stupid for buying them? Of course not.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What would be stupid would be to buy a car for its performance and it NOT be a Viper, lol.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where have you been??? Slow down to a Maclearen F1???

The ACR set the World Record course high speed record for all time. Event the GTR and then the ZR1 vettes are faster than the aforementioned cars.

Of course, you could modify your Viper, like mine and kick all their asses in a big way.

By the way; If your dreams are unattainable, it shows that you have some psychological issues or could use some improvement in that department.

Ted

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted,

All the cars involved in the record at the ring are production cars.
I am sure there are super cars that could beat the production car records.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ted,

All the cars involved in the record at the ring are production cars.
I am sure there are super cars that could beat the production car records.

I know that. That's what I was trying to point out. The ACR is the fastest around the ring (production) but there are a LOT of cars that could easily kick ass on the ACR, ZR1, etc. Ane we know that the ACR spoilers are available for mounting on our cars as well.

I understand that my Hennessey Venom wing will be ready to go on, my car soon. Although I'm not planning on the Nuremburg Ring I do want some aero improvements on my street car (only "in case of emergencies" of course).

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, sending you a PM.

My car is lowered and I can't use Hennessey front bumper. I did cut a Roe front facia scoop and add the lower aero metal into my stock one to upgrade the aerodynamics and cooling however.

Ted

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If that is how you translated my reply, then I apologize. I should be more clear.

1. The world is full of under-achievers, regardless of what car they own or drive. Has nothing to do with cars. Some people choose to be losers, others simply do not have the means to get ahead. Some people choose to work and bust ass to get ahead. But, the fact remains that the majority of our population isn't exactly driven or highly financially motivated. Look around.

2. Being that the median household income of the USA is currently $48K for 2007, most of these buyers will not spend $80K for a new Viper. A Mustang at $30K becomes more realistic and desirable. People tend to have realistic desires, as well as dreams. I could "dream" about buying a Veyron this year, but that wouldn't be in my budget. So, I'd say I'd like something like an ACR or ZR-1 instead.

If those statements sound "elitist", then so be it. I grew up broke and have paid for everything myself in life. I am one of those highly motivated type of people, but I also help others that are willing to help themselves.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yep. Another "measure" is what kind of house you live in / own or rent / how much money you have in the bank / investments / and, of course how HAPPY you are.

Obvious, isn't it, LOL.

Ted

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
most books and articles on the "Rich" say that they drive cars under 35K. A lot of people do not value cars like this board does. I don't get it. I have worked hard all of my life and will buy a Viper soon because it has been my dream car (used to be the Turbo Carera). Kids, ex wifes and accidents set me back several times but I am almost where I need to be to start buying me the toys I have always wanted.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
most books and articles on the "Rich" say that they drive cars under 35K. A lot of people do not value cars like this board does. I don't get it. I have worked hard all of my life and will buy a Viper soon because it has been my dream car (used to be the Turbo Carera). Kids, ex wifes and accidents set me back several times but I am almost where I need to be to start buying me the toys I have always wanted.

And as soon as you buy the Viper (excepting bad weather) you'll be considered "rich" (in your well over $30,000car) and happy because of the Joy you'll get from driving and owning your Viper. You house will move up (?) because of the garage needed to keep the weather off your Viper!

Sounds like a hardwon success story to me. Congratulations when you get there!!!

Ted

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ted,

You been inside my head? lol. I am house shopping already. I am looking for my retirement home, has to have at least a 4 car garage for my toys. I am by no means rich, I do have a great job and now that my daughter is starting at DST where I work, I will no longer have to support her or my grand daughter. been drooling over the for sale section since I found this site. It really tests my will power to pay off all bills before buying a Viper. Once the viper is paid for, its retirement house time. my current house is a little over 2400 sq ft but only 2 car garage. my TA is taking up the entire garage because it is in pieces getting ready for new motor/tranny/rearend and full replacement interior.

thanks for letting me enjoy this site.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that is how you translated my reply, then I apologize. I should be more clear.

1. The world is full of under-achievers, regardless of what car they own or drive. Has nothing to do with cars. Some people choose to be losers, others simply do not have the means to get ahead. Some people choose to work and bust ass to get ahead. But, the fact remains that the majority of our population isn't exactly driven or highly financially motivated. Look around.

and just when u do get ahead joe biden wants it back

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drove the ACR to a local restaurant and all of the waiters/waitresses including the manager came out to look at the car. One waiter looked at me and asked 'are you in the Mafia or something?'.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Ted,

You been inside my head? lol. I am house shopping already. I am looking for my retirement home, has to have at least a 4 car garage for my toys. I am by no means rich, I do have a great job and now that my daughter is starting at DST where I work, I will no longer have to support her or my grand daughter. been drooling over the for sale section since I found this site. It really tests my will power to pay off all bills before buying a Viper. Once the viper is paid for, its retirement house time. my current house is a little over 2400 sq ft but only 2 car garage. my TA is taking up the entire garage because it is in pieces getting ready for new motor/tranny/rearend and full replacement interior.

thanks for letting me enjoy this site.

Wish my daughters were better with money, oh well. They spent my 2nd Viper funds, lol.

I'll warn you now that the Viper will cause that TA to go up 4 sale (see the bottom of this post?). Once you've got the Viper the way you want it - all your other cars will be for sale except your AWD winter car (500hp Stealth R/T TT for me). I've cut back my Duster outings to local Rodeo Parade once a year.

You must be registered for see images

I also have a few collector cars out the back and with 6 garage parking spots ... it's not enough as the wife wants equality, lol. That ain't gonna happen until she upgrades from a Ford Escape.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh yah, and my house is for sale, or half at 3acres with a log Cabin ... and I'll keep the house. Let you have 1 of the 2 car garages. The Cabin is lakefront though.

You'd have to live in Canada. Can't afford to work because of all the taxes, but the medical is free and they may give you a retirement income because they collected so much money on gas taxes.

Ted

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's my driveway snowplow. My driveway is 1/4mi. long and it snows here in winter. My AWD Stealth doesn't even like 6" of snow. And I hate to drive my Ford F150.

I'm doing some brush piling for one of my neigbors with it and cleaning the hundreds of Beetle killed Pine Trees in my yard as well. Next year, say ... $19,000?

It's an '85 Case SuperE with everything except Turbo. Very few hours as it's never been operated commercially, just a "yard tractor".

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you have anything that is not for sale?

Hmmmm, I think that everything is for sale for a price. I have TOO MUCH STUFF!

If I sold 17 cars, little boats, sleds, a business, house, Cabin, and tools, I could get by with just a three car garage and house.

Does this mean I'm too materialistic? Probably just a terrible salesman, Oh no.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notceo