Cams in smog states - CA

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
What camshafts are you guys installing in states with smog / emissions tests, like CA? I don't want any problems with emissions. I spoke with West Coast Viper, and they like the comp coupe cam. Any idea what the specs are on the 04 SRT-10 vs the comp coupe? Lift, duration, overlap? According to the service manual I bought for the SRT-10, it shows a lift of .320 inches. This doesn't sound right, maybe a typo (page 9-19, Engine section?

Useage is primarily street (OK, some drag racing) with some track use likely. A super charger is not in the long term plans for this one. Valve train upgrade (lifters, roller rockers, pushrods) with head work and tuning to go with the new cam. I'd like to get to about 625 hp at the flywheel, normally aspirated. Also, high flow cats will be part of the deal. Not so sure on whose headers yet.

Any comments will be appreciated.

grkss400hp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am completely new to this style of engine coming from the GM LSX platform..... our cams were super easy to install and our only upgrades were springs, p-rods and the new cam...... what is necessary with the GEN I motor and where the hell do u even get a cam for said engines ? also who tunes these cars in california.... thanks guys !

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey dude the .320 lift is correct, thats measured at the cam lobe. Figure in the rocker arms (1.65 ratio stock?)

I wouldn't worry about the tailpipe test as much as the check engine light from the misfire codes. At least thats the biggest issue i've had.