Car will not start unless fuel pump unplugged first

efnfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001 viper w/ built engine and paxton. Fuel system is double RSI in-tank (2x walbro 267), external Weldon regulator, 80lb bosch injectors. Car was dyno tuned by Torrie ~2yrs ago (HP Tuners + stock ecu) and has run flawlessly since but today decided to "break".

If I try to start the car it cranks, sometimes sputters like it almost wants to start, but will not start.

If I remove the fuses for both fuel pumps, the car will start immediately, idle for a second, then die.

If I then put the fuses back in (either 1 or both pumps), the car will immediately start, idle fine and drive fine. Going WOT runs like a ***** ape and does not blow up. However, when I stop the car and turn it off, when I try to restart it it will not start unless i remove the fuses for the fuel pump, start it, let it die, then plug the fuses back in. It does not matter if, once it starts up, if I drive the car for 5 minutes, idle it for 5 minutes, or quickly turn it back off .... as soon as i key off it will not restart until I first run it briefly with the fuel pumps disconnected.

Regulator shows 56psi with vacuum hoses disconnected (exactly where I set it years ago) when cranking or idling. When I key on the pumps turn on (audible), regulator goes to 56psi, then back to 0 when the pumps shut off 1-2 seconds later.

It almost feels like the manifold/fuel rail is flooded with fuel, but that doesn't make sense because then the car wouldn't idle or drive fine once it starts, and when I can get it to start in that above sequence of events it does so immediately without any issues (e.g., coughing, hesitation, etc.).

edit: I also can't see it being something in the tune because it's been perfectly fine for 2 years, and if the tune were flooding it with fuel on start, then when I plug the fuel pumps back in it would re-flood.

edit 2: If i leave the car sit for ~2hrs it will start up on the first crank and idle fine. If I turn it off and immediately back on, it will go back to just cranking and coughing, until I unplug the fuel pump, let it fire up and idle for a second to clean the rails out, die, then plug the fuel pump back in and it will start up immediately. I suppose a solution is to put the fuel-pump-on wire on an off/on switch and first start the engine with it off then on, but that still leaves me wondering *** is going on

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

efnfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It idles fine and fuel trims look fine so I don't think it's a vaccum leak. Last times I've had vacuum leaks either the idle was super high and/or short-term fuel trims were really off (like +/-25%). And all hoses are connected and visually look fine

Ground doesn't make sense because the symptoms occur like clockwork in an exact sequence.

It's almost like the intake manifold is getting flooded with fuel when I shut the car off, so it has to get drained out (either by time, starting w/o fuel pump, etc.) before it will work again, but that doesn't make any sense because one would think the car would be running like crap then

OP
OP
E

efnfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does a gen 2 viper have a clear flood mode? I.e., press the gas pedal to the floor and the injectors won't fire when cranking the car?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oatman16