Viper for stock class autocross

NoCones

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering what everyone thinks would be the best Viper for autocross...in a stock class...which means mod-wise, you can only do:

stock width/diameter wheels within 1/4" offset
Any dot-approved rubber (Hoosier A6/Kumho V710) that'll fit those wheels
shocks with up to 2 external adjustments
front swaybar (no change to rear)
exhaust behind the cat
intake element (the filter, not the plumbing)
alignment (using factory approved methods/parts)
if I didn't list it, assume you can't do it legally

Given that, is there a particular model/year you think would be best? Given my limited knowledge, there doesn't seem to be much difference across the years/generations that would matter a lot. Weight is huge and published curb weights don't seem to vary much across the various models. Align-ability could matter too...is there much difference in max neg camber available across the years/models? Is any model ride-height adjustable from the factory (ACR?).

Thanks for the help...purchase is many months off, and I'm not settled on a Viper, but I'm intrigued...

Last edited:

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
'08 ACR ********* bone stock will out perform any other bone stock Viper on an auto-x

no other has those cup tires stock or weighs so little. Take the wing off for even less weight. any allowable mods would only make it better.

OP
OP
N

NoCones

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'08 ACR ********* bone stock will out perform any other bone stock Viper on an auto-x

no other has those cup tires stock or weighs so little. Take the wing off for even less weight. any allowable mods would only make it better.
what is the weight difference?

can't take the wing off

the tires don't really matter since that's an allowed mod...I'd put the Hoosiers or Kumhos on any Viper and outperform the sport cups

Reaction score
I SERIOUSLY doubt the ACR will ever be allowed in the SCCA Stock classing structure since it will be built in such low numbers. Sorry guys the old ACR may be fine though and it has 18" wheels so there are lots of "great" tires to choose from. The shocks also could be replaced with good ones since the car originally cam with adjustable ride height shocks from the factory.

OP
OP
N

NoCones

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I SERIOUSLY doubt the ACR will ever be allowed in the SCCA Stock classing structure since it will be built in such low numbers. Sorry guys the old ACR may be fine though and it has 18" wheels so there are lots of "great" tires to choose from. The shocks also could be replaced with good ones since the car originally cam with adjustable ride height shocks from the factory.

I don't think either ACR is stock-legal.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would pick up the phone and chat with Mark Jorgensen , as that modest little Viper Performance Coordinator just happens to be a " Nationally Competitive Pro Solo and Solo II Driver. " The boy is super fast, really understands suspensions, and can give you alot of advice for free. He is a rare talent in Solo II circles and when he speaks , it is definitely worth a listen.

His number at work is 800-889-1893 or try his cell at 402-677-5864.:drive:

Reaction score
Not that anyone listens to Bill about this stuff because he is a bit senile in his old age. By the way my cell is 402 677-2935. :rolaugh:

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2008, assuming the SEB lets it play in SS, is looking pretty good with 5% stiffer springs over the '03-'06. Hopefully the new diff is a lot better in autox situations too. Hard to say how usable the extra power would be.

ACRs old and new both go straight to ASP. The older one might be a good fit but they're generally considered too rare.

Hoosier has great tire sizes out now for the Viper, Gen 2 or 3. If Kumho sticks to their new size list, they soon will too.

Bottom line: wait to see if the '08 is allowed, and if so, get one. If not, the '03-06 is *probably* the way to go.

Convertible is 50-60lbs. lighter than coupe, making it probably the better choice for cone-dodging.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Senile..........damn, that hurts. Wonder if it has anything to do with me giving out my phone number instead of Mark's???

I prefer the more gentile..........halfheimers!

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2008, assuming the SEB lets it play in SS, is looking pretty good with 5% stiffer springs over the '03-'06. Hopefully the new diff is a lot better in autox situations too. Hard to say how usable the extra power would be.

ACRs old and new both go straight to ASP. The older one might be a good fit but they're generally considered too rare.

Hoosier has great tire sizes out now for the Viper, Gen 2 or 3. If Kumho sticks to their new size list, they soon will too.

Bottom line: wait to see if the '08 is allowed, and if so, get one. If not, the '03-06 is *probably* the way to go.

Convertible is 50-60lbs. lighter than coupe, making it probably the better choice for cone-dodging.

+1 on these comments. Just as an FYI, here are the relative weights of the 2008 models as posted by the SRT engineers:

3,450 lbs. (1564.9 kg) Coupe
3,440 lbs. (1560.4 kg) Convertible
3,408 lbs. (1552 kg) ACR
3,366 lbs. (1533 kg) ACR ********* Package

Thus, if you took the convertible, installed the ACR Stoptech Rotors and stock-sized wheels, you would get 3440 - 60 lbs = 3380 which is lighter than the "base" ACR and close to the "********" ACR.

/Rich

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich, unfortunately you aren't allowed to swap in parts of a non-Stock-legal car onto your own car in Stock class, making the ACR Stoptech brakes illegal. With the exception of allowed parts(front bar, wheels, tires, cat-back), the car must be in a configuration that was available from the factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Copperhd